Thursday, January 24, 2013

Kansas Day

January 25th is Kansas Day! Kansas became a state on January 29, 1861. We will be celebrating our state's 152nd birthday this year!

Make Kansas Map with labels (cutting & pasting activity): students will get a blank state of Kansas and will have to label there cities, cattle farms, industry, oil, and interstates are. I display a guide for the students to follow for the project.

Sunflower Seed Measurement: Students will estimate how many sunflower seeds it will take to measure various small objects, like things they can find in their desks. They estimate  before they are given the sunflower seeds. Then they find exactly how many sunflower seeds it took to measure the object.

What Can You Find in Kansas? worksheet: Students use the map on the back to answer the 10 questions about our state.

Sunflower art: Students use crayons to draw a sunflower. Then go over their sunflower with blue watercolor as a crayon resist. Once dry, these sunflowers look awesome!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Erin! Is there anyone I could get a copy of your activities for Kansas Day? These would be perfect for my third graders!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Most of the copies are only hard copies, but I can mail them to you. Where do you teach/what's your school address?

      Delete
    2. I would like copies too! adawson@usd434.us

      Delete
  2. I would appreciate copies, too. vhall@bawarriors.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I have copies too please? tboyes@usd404.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I have copies ? thaug@gbta.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Erin! I just came across your blog. Would you be able to share copies with me too, please? If so, boeckmaa@usd113.org
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, I am on maternity leave right now so I am unable to access my files. I will try to remember to get them to you when I return to the classroom!

      Delete
  6. Hi Erin..are you able to send digital copies of your projects? They look great! Erin Myers

    myerse@usd450.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, I am on maternity leave right now so I am unable to access my files. I will try to remember to get them to you when I return to the classroom!

      Delete
  7. I saw you were on maternity leave but could I get copies too when you return? I will use them next year. Thank you so much and congratulations!
    wgrim@knusd331.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I get copies of your Kansas Day Stuff? Thanks!
    adawson@usd434.us

    ReplyDelete
  9. i would love copies as well. kathryn@csmontessoriwichita.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love copies of your Kansas Day Stuff. Thanks!
    pbeck@hfehays.org

    ReplyDelete