Monday, September 17, 2012

Happy Constitution Day!

As a class, we read We the Kids by David Catrow. This is fun picture book that beautifully illustrates our Constitution's Preamble. The only text is the book is the Preamble and it is a great gateway into discussions of its meaning.
We the Kids: The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States

After reading We the Kids, the students created their own Preamble illustrations. They worked in pairs, then explained their interpretation of their section of the Preamble. It was awesome (and entertaining) to listen to their explanations! (idea from Chalk Talk)
 
 



Here is a screenprint of my definitions:

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you enjoyed the idea. I must say, I am utilizing the pinterest and lesson planning right now and it is working out great!!

    And btw, Kansas, eh? I sure like that state too.

    Thanks for the comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach in Topeka Kansas, but live in Lawrence! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

    ReplyDelete