Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th Observation

My students were not yet born on 9/11/2001 but the events of that day still have an impact on their lives. We have been at war with terrorism the entire time they have been alive, and even if they are not impacted by it, they do not know America at peace.

We discussed what happened on September 11th and how people reacted. I told them where I was when it happened (junior year of high school, in Chemistry class) and my feelings at the time. It was hard not to get choked up talking about it. We watched the BrainPop on 9/11 which led to more questions from my students. I explained as best I could, but also told my students to take time to talk with their parents about 9/11. It is something they need to know about.

After our discussion, I asked each student to make an America quilt square. They were to draw something that represented what they think when I said "America" or something to honor those who lost their lives eleven years ago. Here is our quilt:







No comments:

Post a Comment