Sunday, July 15, 2012

Make It...Sunday?

I'm either very late or a bit early on this Make It... event! I decided to tackle making pencil bags for my students. They do not have pencil bags on their school supplies list, but it is definitely something that is helpful for them to have in the homework binder. Secondly, I made built-in bookmarks for my student journals.

So first, gather your materials: scissors, quart-sized baggies (the slider close is better so that you don't have to constantly line up the zipper for the students), and some pretty duct tape of your choice. You will also need a 3-hole punch to finish your project!

Measure out how much duct tape it will take to cover the width of your baggie. You can actually measure or just eyeball it each time (which is obviously what I decided to do!). Cut at the length you are happy with. You don't want much overhang, so I cut mine slightly smaller than the width of the baggie.

In order to not have air pockets in the duct tape and to be able to see what I was doing properly, I flipped the duct tape over. Then I could line up the baggie halfway down the duct tape before folding it over.

Then, fold it over and tape it down :)

Final step, 3-hole punch and repeat for all your students :)

In order to make your notebook bookmarks, first gather your materials: hot glue gun, notebooks, ribbon (I chose 1" wide), and scissors. Decide how much overhang of a bookmark you would like; Be sure to fold the ribbon over to see what it will look like before you glue!



Choose bright colors and be sure they are glued in well so they stay in the notebooks :)

8 comments:

  1. Both are things I need to do in my classroom! I really like the colors you chose for your ribbons and duct tape. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pencil bags, what a cute idea! I have seen that duct tape at Wal-Mart, maybe I will grab a roll next time I am there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where I got the duct tape! I would check out Target's selection as well, they have a bunch.

      Delete
  3. Very Cool...I will be adding the bookmark idea to my composition notebooks!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ~Sara~
    Ramblings of a Deaf Ed Teacher's Mind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like the pencil bag idea too! How awesome! I feel that there are so many places I can use these. Thanks for sharing it! Definitely pinning it so I remember :D

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am your newest follower!
    I love the bags!
    Thanks for sharing!
    I am your newest follower! I am a new blogger and love connecting with other teachers!
    Layla

    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm your follower as well now, too!! Glad you liked my craftiness :)

      Delete
  6. Loving both of your projects! Thanks for linking up and sharing:))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete